Pages

Friday, November 21, 2014

First Comes the Fast, Then the Feast

First of all, may I formally congratulate our very own Laura @ Life is Beautiful on her recent engagement!  Ladies, her post about her engagement is so, so, so beautiful and genuine.  Laura, best wishes and many, many prayers as you and your man begin formal preparation for the Sacrament of Marriage!

Secondly, my last post about praying for one's future husband received such a positive response that my mind went racing a wee bit.

Encouraged by the response, I wonder if anyone would be interested in fasting together for a particular intention.  I'm thinking of a weekly fast (yes, fasting for the entire week.  It might be a good preparation for Lent, especially for those who are not accustomed to fasting); the thing to fast from (which is certainly not limited to food, especially for those of us who have health concerns and/or dietary restrictions) will be up for discussion on CYW's Facebook page and I will formally announce it on Facebook by Sunday of each week (no fasting on the Lord's day!).  The week-long fast will be from Monday to Saturday evening -- Sunday begins with the vigil on Saturday.

We will begin our weekly fasts the First week of Advent (Nov 30), so please visit our Facebook page to see this post's link and we'll begin discussing what to fast from for the first week.

As this is inspired by my previous post, our first intention for the fast will be our vocations in general.   Many (most?) of us are still discerning, which -- at least in my experience thus far -- is a very difficult, and often a painful, place to be.  Those who have found their vocations are more than welcome to join us in fasting and pray for your intentions for your vocation.

The beauty of fasting together is that we can all pray for each other's intentions (this first time being all of our vocations) as well as our own.  'Catholic' means universal and the reality of this, especially when considered through prayer, is incredible!

Also, in light of this weekly gathering and in the interest of enhancing a group conversation, I am also wondering if anyone would be interested in a Facebook group (in addition to the previously established page).  Several of us here at CYW feel that the page is there to talk "at" people; we would like to mingle more and actually have a conversation with the beautiful ladies who follow this blog.

We look forward to your thoughts via comments here and/or on Facebook!  Many blessings 

10 comments:

  1. I don't have a facebook account, but I would love to join!
    Elisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisa, I'll update the blog, as well, to announce the fast of the week. Any and all suggestions for a weekly fast are always welcome; feel free to share your ideas here!

      God bless you!

      Delete
  2. Sarah Therese, thank you so much for the best wishes and the kind thoughts expressed! The prayers are so deeply appreciated, too!! <3

    I LOVE your idea for a fasting group. That is one area (or several, haha) that I fall miserably short of where I'm likely called to be. Fasting is so tough, but it's so encouraging when you're doing it with a group! Kudos to you for the idea. I look forward to seeing it grow. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Laura! I'm so happy for you and was genuinely touched by how real you were in your announcement ♥♥♥

      I'm definitely looking forward to this group, praying with and for one another, and supporting each other in this way. Praise & thanks be to God the Holy Spirit for the inspiration. ♥

      Delete
  3. Congratulations, Laura!! :) I would like to join too, although I am rather shy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathie, you are certainly welcome to join! Thank you for your kind comment! Please feel free to share your ideas for a fast here and know that all thoughts shared are welcome and loved. ♥

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a great idea! I would love to join the fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, Nuala! I'm looking forward to it! God bless!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.

Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.

Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.

God bless!