Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Praying for Your Future Husband


unrelated photo... sorta ;-)

Marriage is on my mind today because it's the first anniversary of my sister and brother-in-law's wedding and I love that today's feast (the dedication of the basilica of St. John Lateran) works so beautifully with the Sacrament of Matrimony as Andrew and Anna began their domestic church one year ago today.

Like many girls, I dream of one day keeping house with my man.  I smile to think of welcoming him home from work but probably only after our children first smother him with kisses.  I could expand quite a bit on this dream, but that would actually be contrary to my point with this post. *grins*

In the midst of these dreams -- though quite healthy and natural -- there's a temptation to obsess on the thought and think exclusively of this fairy tale life.  Even in praying for one's future spouse, there's a temptation to entertain such distractions.  Yes, it is invaluable to pray for our vocations in front of the Blessed Sacrament (be it during Adoration or at Mass) but it is also important to remember the prayer of a sacrifice.

During their courtship, my now-brother-in-law was advised to pick a day of the week in addition to Fridays to abstain from meat as a sacrifice for my sister's intentions.  In a similar fashion, there is the option for us of fasting from a particular food, dessert, social media (or even just a particular website), choosing to do a particular chore with a genuine smile or offering some other small sacrifice as we go about everyday life that would bear much fruit and better prepare you for the man that God is also preparing for you.

I was 19 years old when I got my ears pierced (wait! hold on! I promise, it relates!).  Though I frankly was not especially excited to get them pierced (the outing was a Christmas present and the occasion was a girls' night with my mom and sisters), it did not take me long to discover that I really.really.really enjoy wearing dangly earrings.  I even once told a girl friend that I'd love for my future husband to buy me dangly earrings as gifts (unless he wants to make them himself, but I'd be surprised ;-).  Earrings would be lovely gifts then; prayers, including even especially the smallest acts of sacrifices (done with great love) are the most priceless gifts I can give him now (and, of course, then).

So, pray, dear sisters.  Pray hard and take every opportunity to offer a small sacrifice.  Your man is alive today and is subject to every temptation the world has to offer.  He needs your prayers; needs them desperately.  Every little prayerful sacrifice of dying to yourself allows the Holy Spirit to transform you little by little into the woman that God created you to be.  Live abundantly, and God will greatly reward you both.


I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
John 10:10


disclaimer: I'd have shared a practical gift a wife could buy for her husband instead of the earrings example, but I don't yet know my future husband's preferences and decided that beer was inappropriate...

18 comments:

  1. Excellent!! I will remember this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post!
    That was just what I needed to read today ;)
    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praise God! How wonderful! May He bless you, as well ♥♥

      Delete
  3. I love hearing your excellent thoughts on this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true! p.s. I think that is such a beautiful comparison, the domestic Church and today's feast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it??!?! I remember thinking "how beautiful!" when my sister first realized it and shared her thoughts with us prior to the wedding date. It completely changed my perspective on celebrating the dedication of a Church ;-)

      God bless you! ♥

      Delete
  5. Wow! Beautiful to think about! I will definitely use this! Thank you Sarah! God bless!

    ~Sarah :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice ~ once again i read about your sister love story, this really inspire me, thank you so much Sarah! Love it!.. in His time everything will be beautiful. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Patience obtains all; God alone suffices.

      God bless you, Clare!

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful idea to fast once a week for your husband. We have been married for a year now and it is easy to forget the sacrifices that I can make for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another friend also mentioned that after reading this post. It's an angle I -- as a single woman -- could not necessarily have known to include in this post. But I think it's such a beautiful point to know during one's single years. Thank you for sharing, Emily! God bless you!

      Delete
  8. I hope you don't mind the male intrusion here, but I thought I could help you a bit with this:

    disclaimer: I'd have shared a practical gift a wife could buy for her husband instead of the earrings example, but I don't yet know my future husband's preferences and decided that beer was inappropriate...

    While its not a practical "gift", and in some respects isn't a gift so much as a duty, expressions of respect and admiration for your husband (whomever that may be) are just as valuable, if not more so, than anything money can buy. Just as prayer has value, though it cannot be measured in coin, so too does other intangibles, such as respect and admiration/reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to give a real life example of how these prayers really, truly work. I started praying for my future husband when I was 15. Many years later, I have learned that my now fiance ended his addiction to pornography completely the same time I started praying for him. I hadn't met him yet, nor did I have any idea of the struggles he was going through at the time, but through my prayers for the man I had never met, God was able to make our lives very happy and filled with grace.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.

Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.

Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.

God bless!