Welcome, ladies! I'm curled up this evening with some peanut butter toast and a cup of milk as I type this before bed. So sorry we're meeting later than usual with the book club, but I didn't forget you!
I'd love to hear more from those of you reading the book-- or those of you who have already finished it!
A few weeks ago, I had a girlfriend visit from Michigan and we had a lovely weekend catching up on all that was new in the past year. She's going through a season of trials, including her dad's struggle with dementia. I immediately thought of My Sisters The Saints because I have been overwhelmingly touched, encouraged, and strengthened by the author's story. After K. left, I bought the book online and had it mailed directly to her. She read the whole book in less than a week and wrote me to say how deeply meaningful it was to her and how much she wanted to thank me for introducing such a perfect and timely book to her. I know the Holy Spirit was behind it all, and I pray that He is speaking to you through this book as well.
Here are the review questions for the week:
Chapter 3: Trust Fall
Colleen describes accepting a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to work as a speechwriter for the President. But this job couldn’t fill the ache in her soul for marriage. Have you ever felt the call to sacrifice something important to you for something better? How have you seen the faithfulness of God in that sacrifice? Colleen describes the atmosphere surrounding the speechwriting staff as a “boys’ club.” Have you ever felt out of place somewhere that you believed God had called you to be? Write out quotes from the saints or Bible verses that remind you of your value to God. Colleen writes that Saint Faustina seemed to embody the verse, “Trust in the Lord with all of your heart and do not lean on your own understanding (Prov. 3:5).” At the end of this chapter, Colleen realizes that it is not enough to say she trusts in God; she must act as though she does, whether or not she feels it. What’s the difference? Are actions or words more important? Why?
Catching up or jumping ahead? Here are the chapter links:
Introduction/Note to the Reader
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Thursday, October 23, 2014
4 comments:
Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.
Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.
Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.
God bless!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I read this week´s chapter with a lump in my throat. Colleen´s struggle is so recognizable for me right now. I studied very long and hard to finally get the job I always dreamt of during my college years. And once I got it, all I could do was cry, feeling depressed and utterly unable to actually do it. I´ve not often felt so much out of place. And this was my dream job! If it was God´s will that I did actually could pursue my dream, how could it be so hard?
ReplyDeleteI shed lots of tears during lots of prayers while asking God for guidance. And when I finally found peace, in my job, my life and my faith, I made my decision. Immediately, I realised that Jesus was there with me, all the time. But it was I who had to make the decision to maintain my job, albeit with some big changes in my personal life. Yet I´ve always trusted that this is the path that God has given me. So I can very much relate to what Colleen writes about acting as though you trust, while praying over your actions, your trust and your love for God. To combine the two is, I think, of the utmost importance. How can we otherwise discern in our hearts what we should do?
I love my job and I love that God has given me the opportunity to pursue my dream. But every dream comes with its sacrifices. As I read once: God did not mean your calling (be it worldly, be it ecclesiastical) to be easy. But sacrafices are only small when I pray to God everyday and feel Him near me.
"acting as though you trust, while praying over your actions, your trust and your love for God. To combine the two is, I think, of the utmost importance. How can we otherwise discern in our hearts what we should do?"
DeleteYes, yes, yes.
Prayers for you, Laurentia!
Reading this weeks chapter helped me to understand that when I go of to school to get an education in a certain field to always have Christ at the center controlling aspects. One thing I don't want to do is travel down the wrong road to then realize I was meant somewhere else. Although I have not experienced the pull between my dream job and something else I have experienced feeling like I was suppose to take a certain route for my future and then suddenly understanding no, that's not where I'm suppose to be. Once I let go of my ideas I felt so much more at peace with the new decision I made. When your not suppose to be somewhere Christ won't let it go, He will keep nudging you till you can't ignore it anymore and then finally you will have to comply with His Will because that is the only way that you will feel at peace. As Catholic's we grow up saying oh yeah I trust God, I want what He wants for me. It one thing to say it but a whole different thing to do it. You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk? Now just because we do the will of God and do what He has planned for our lives does not mean it's going to be a walk in the park, there will be much pain and sacrifice. With much blessings come much responsibility.
ReplyDelete"You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk? Now just because we do the will of God and do what He has planned for our lives does not mean it's going to be a walk in the park, there will be much pain and sacrifice. "
DeleteVery true! The pain and sacrifice grow much fruit-- including deeper peace, joy, and trust.
God is good.