Pages

Monday, January 13, 2014

Catholic Young Woman in College: Introduction

"All life lessons are not learned at college," she thought. "Life teaches them everywhere."
~From Anne of the Island~

Even so, college is a very huge and important part of many lives. It's that strange time that doesn't really have a place -- we're adults but not quite thrust into the real world just yet. It's a struggle and a blessing, a challenge and great fun. We make huge decisions, but don't need to do things like pay for electricity or a child.

You may know that I'm currently a sophomore in college and two of our other contributors are in college as well. Many of the older ladies have graduated from college. And we all have a different story. All our experiences were different, and thus, they can teach us different things. Unique.

Because college is such an important part of my life, and because I know we have readers who are near or at college-age, I thought it would be a good idea to run a series here on the blog, detailing some of our life-lessons and experiences of being a Catholic young woman in college. I think this compilation is lacking elsewhere in Catholic circles. What will follow in the near future is a series of posts by some of our contributors talking about particular aspects of college.

Our education is a great blessing and privilege, and something I'm learning to never take advantage of. I sometimes hate my school, my situation, my studies...but we all do. College isn't a fairy tale, it isn't "the best four years of your life." But it is a time of exploration, doubt, extreme excitement, the depths of despair, laughter, spiritual growth, a certainty about our place in this world. [Wow that got dramatic.]

And so I hope we can detail some of our experiences and struggles about living as a Catholic woman in college. Rather than being a how-to guide, we hope to share our stories. Our "college experiences" differ, and thus we have a unique story to share. I hope you'll enjoy this series as much as I did working on it.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh, awesome! I'm so excited. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds intresting, I'm waiting for the next part! I've studied history for 3 years, Croatian language for 2 years and I've learned a lot - not just about history and the language. You should study harder than before, and be an adult. Univeresity life can make you stronger and wiser, if you want. (p.s. I love the university part of Anne's story. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds wonderful! I can't wait for the next part :) I'm in the final semester of a four year English and French degree, and I'm thinking seriously about an MA in Religion and Society - anybody out there that is doing/has done post-graduate studies that has any advice? I'm asking secular friends, and as all my Catholic friends are at the same stage as me, I'd love a Catholic woman's perspective!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot wait! I am a junior in college, and have found it hard to find Catholic women in college who are experiencing the same uncertainties and struggles that I am facing. Thank youuuu!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.

Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.

Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.

God bless!