Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Daily Prayer to Discover Your Vocation

I've long wondered what it was like for Our Lady growing up, before the angel visited her.  I wonder what she did for pleasure, if she enjoyed singing and dancing, and what their little family did together in the evenings.  Most of all, though, I wonder if Mary ever thought about her future, if she ever experienced anxiety or concern, and how she stayed fixed in the now.  Surely, she must have had thoughts, whether or not she entertained them, in regards to her future.  Although her discernment is among the most clear I've ever read about, I still wonder if she ever questioned.

And then I consider how much I can learn from this young teenage girl to whom our Heavenly Father graced the gift of motherhood to our Savior.  Despite the fear she felt {cf. Luke 1:30}, she said yes - fiat - to God's will and followed His plan for her life.  

What gave her the courage to say 'yes' to the unknown?  How did she overcome her fear, press onward, and give of herself so completely as to become the very first tabernacle?

She trusted in God and was full of grace.

When my sister returned from a five day Catholic Girls' Camp last month, she handed me this prayer.  If there can be 'love at first sight' in regards to a prayer or devotion, that was my reaction.  It immediately resonated with me as something I would be very comfortable praying and I knew I wanted to incorporate it into my regular prayer life.  

I feel very 'at home' {if you will} in this prayer; it speaks very positively and encouragingly of both the marital and religious vocations.  When praying it, I experience a sense of peace.  No pressure, anxiety, or confusion.  Just peace and a gentle reminder that God does have a love story written, even for me.


Heavenly Father, if it be Your holy will that I am called to the vocation of marriage, please protect my future spouse.  Keep him holy and pure so that when in Your Divine providence You bring us together, we may discover and foster the love You have always intended for us to share, even from the beginning of time.  Then, through our marriage, may we faithfully witness that love to the world each and every day of our lives.

But Lord, if it be your will that I am called to the vocation of consecrated life, then place holy people in my life to assist me along this path, not telling me what I should do, but guiding and encouraging me every step of the way, so that I may become the faithful instrument of Your grace for the souls you have entrusted to my care.  

I ask this through the intercession of our Blessed Mother Mary, and in the name of Your Son our Lord Jesus Christ, who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, One God forever and ever.  Amen.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Thank you for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this prayer! As much as I think I'm called to marriage - I have to remember that by holding on to that too tight I might be ignoring God's will. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to keep one's heart open to God's true will {as opposed to what we think/want God's will to be}. God bless you!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing this! I must admit to being quite 'marriage-minded', even though it will be some years before I have to make any sort of decision. Even though I feel attracted and pulled towards the vocation of marriage, it's important to practice open-mindedness so that God, even if you end up following the plan you intended to follow at first, can help your spirit grow through discernment. One of the concepts I particularly love is the Third Order, or monastic life for lay-people.
    Thanks again, and God bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautifully put! I'd never thought of it like that - "...help your spirit grow through discernment." Very well said.

      The Third Order is a great gift! I've been very inspired by my own mother's example as a Third Order Carmelite {OCDS}.

      God bless you!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing that! I think it will become part of my prayer routine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this prayer. I am at the upper end of the definition of "young Catholic" now, but I still don't know what God's plan for my life is. I really need this prayer. Thanks and God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. I will pass this along to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.

Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.

Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.

God bless!