---by Laura Olech
In Exodus 32, the Israelites have been brought out of Egypt and they are waiting for Moses to return to them. He's meeting God on a mountain, and while he is away, the Israelites make a statue of a calf out of gold and worship it with singing and dancing. The Lord sees this, and He is angry.
Today is the same as yesterday... God still does not want anything to come before Him. Because nothing in this world is worthy of being placed higher than God. Yet each and everyday, we place other things higher than God. I should know.... I have idols too.
My calf statue is silver not golden and it's sleek, flat, flips open so I can stare into its glowing screen. I get lost inside of it... I travel the world wide web.
I seek the glowing face of a computer screen instead of seeking the face of God. The face of Moses shone like the sun when he came down from that mountain...my face stops glowing the minute I press shut down. No matter how secretly we convince ourselves, nothing on earth compares to the glory of God.
The best hours of my days are sucked away by this device. I am sucked up by this device. I fall into the web instead of falling into God. I draw near to the computer instead of drawing near to the One who died for me. And just as He was with the Israelites, the Lord is angry. He whispers softly to me to return to Him.
Every morning, I head down the stairs and slip into the familiar chair, the light glowing bright in my face. My fingers click against the keyboard. I know this computer like an old friend, but lately I have begun to wonder if it is a friend or truly an enemy.
It is easy to numb the pain for a while, the pain that tells me that I am not doing what I am supposed to. I'm not doing what I was created to do. I am not being who He created me to be. What if the glow of the screen blinds us to the beauty of God?
Moses destroys the Golden Calf. I click shut down. Moses climbs a mountain, I climb the stairs, and we get on our knees....to worship the Only One who truly deserves it.
Laura is a high school student from Ontario, Canada. She lives in the country with her parents, two horses, two dogs, and four cats, all whom she loves very much. She blogs at Perfect Love. She is an aspiring doctor, wife and mother, and wants nothing more than to live out God's call each and every day of her life.
In Exodus 32, the Israelites have been brought out of Egypt and they are waiting for Moses to return to them. He's meeting God on a mountain, and while he is away, the Israelites make a statue of a calf out of gold and worship it with singing and dancing. The Lord sees this, and He is angry.
Today is the same as yesterday... God still does not want anything to come before Him. Because nothing in this world is worthy of being placed higher than God. Yet each and everyday, we place other things higher than God. I should know.... I have idols too.
My calf statue is silver not golden and it's sleek, flat, flips open so I can stare into its glowing screen. I get lost inside of it... I travel the world wide web.
I seek the glowing face of a computer screen instead of seeking the face of God. The face of Moses shone like the sun when he came down from that mountain...my face stops glowing the minute I press shut down. No matter how secretly we convince ourselves, nothing on earth compares to the glory of God.
The best hours of my days are sucked away by this device. I am sucked up by this device. I fall into the web instead of falling into God. I draw near to the computer instead of drawing near to the One who died for me. And just as He was with the Israelites, the Lord is angry. He whispers softly to me to return to Him.
Every morning, I head down the stairs and slip into the familiar chair, the light glowing bright in my face. My fingers click against the keyboard. I know this computer like an old friend, but lately I have begun to wonder if it is a friend or truly an enemy.
It is easy to numb the pain for a while, the pain that tells me that I am not doing what I am supposed to. I'm not doing what I was created to do. I am not being who He created me to be. What if the glow of the screen blinds us to the beauty of God?
Moses destroys the Golden Calf. I click shut down. Moses climbs a mountain, I climb the stairs, and we get on our knees....to worship the Only One who truly deserves it.
Laura is a high school student from Ontario, Canada. She lives in the country with her parents, two horses, two dogs, and four cats, all whom she loves very much. She blogs at Perfect Love. She is an aspiring doctor, wife and mother, and wants nothing more than to live out God's call each and every day of her life.
This is so very true!! Thank you for posting this! I especially liked this part-- "I seek the glowing face of a computer screen instead of seeking the face of God." - very inspiring.
ReplyDelete