Dearest CYW Readers,
It amazes me the power of God's grace as it works through... the Internet, of all places. I have formed many unique friendships through blogging, friends I'd have never known even existed if it weren't for the Internet, kindred spirits I'd have never discovered, places of inspiration, stories, humor, and witness of the Faith I'd have never known. I am so thankful for each on of you, pray for you often, and want to take this opportunity -- at the very beginning of a brand new year -- to thank you for being here by sharing a glimpse into life as I knew it in 2014.
"I came that you might have life and have it abundantly." - JesusIt amazes me the power of God's grace as it works through... the Internet, of all places. I have formed many unique friendships through blogging, friends I'd have never known even existed if it weren't for the Internet, kindred spirits I'd have never discovered, places of inspiration, stories, humor, and witness of the Faith I'd have never known. I am so thankful for each on of you, pray for you often, and want to take this opportunity -- at the very beginning of a brand new year -- to thank you for being here by sharing a glimpse into life as I knew it in 2014.
This verse, from John 10:10, became one of my favorites this Fall. A newly minted college graduate and now a young professional, I was being stretched and challenged in ways I had never before experienced -- not in college and certainly not in homeschool. My shyness once again exhibited itself profoundly and I forced myself to do life anyway. Tears were shed, confidence was nearly blown, words were misunderstood. I forced my introverted self to sit down and discuss things with my parents. It wasn't easy, but it was liberating and even refreshing. I sat up again and went back to life. It still wasn't easy, but with God's grace, it was do-able. Love conquers all.
Let's back up, shall we? January brought my final semester of college and I busily set to work arranging student-teaching hours, spending too much time on Facebook, and trying to not stress out too much over academics (but, let's be honest: that was to no avail). Two portfolios had to be completed by April; one of them documented my final semester project that Spring, the other my entire college career, sans some general education credits not directly pertaining to my major. I shocked myself by receiving 93% on the first one and full credit on the second -- my sigh of relief was probably heard throughout the US!


As part of my field observations (which means simply 'visiting schools'), I was able to visit a Catholic Montessori school & Atrium where I was introduced to the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS). I'd heard lots about it before but had never had the opportunity to visit an Atrium. My friends, it was true love at first sight. Once home after that first visit, my Mom said I was glowing and not walking on the ground... I was truly captivated. Happily, a dear friend worked there and was expecting a baby in June, so she encouraged me to bring in my resumé when I came to observe. That took a lot of arm-twisting ;) Longer story short, I interviewed and, ultimately, landed the job. My spirits soared, but if I thought I had already found gold, that was only the beginning. No sooner had I signed the contract when my new Head of School handed me a registration form for training in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd. God-willing, I will complete this training over the Summer of 2015. God is good ♥
Anyway... I successfully completed my college career, bid farewell to my professors, left my job at my previous Montessori school, and enjoyed a stay-cation over the Summer which included the first half of CGS training. It further included donating 10 inches to Locks of Love, after which some blogging friends said I resembled Grace Kelly. I'll certainly accept that compliment; meanwhile, I still was of the opinion that my sister cut my hair too short for my liking. I'll get over it eventually: it is only hair, after all ;) ;) Other adventures included going to see Les Misérables LIVE (love.), joyfully anticipating the arrival of nephew #2 (only to have to say goodbye to him 15 terribly short weeks later), my siblings and I treating my Mom to a lovely Italian dinner on her wedding anniversary since my Dad was -- at the time -- in Italy, enjoying a wine tasting or two, and really just savoring this beautiful life.
The new school year began and I simultaneously celebrated my 22nd birthday with a glass of wine and a Grace Kelly movie. Classy. I met my little students and immediately began recording some of the little gems that they say. My personal favorite was a 5 year old girl singing to the tune of Ode to Joy: "God of glory loves Miss Sarah be-cause she is kind to me." Another 5 yr old girl revealed to me my vocation (*winks*): "Miss Sarah, how do you draw a nun?" Before I could reply, another 5 yr old girl interjected: "By drawing Miss Sarah." News to me ;)
Stepping into life as a young professional was harder than I had anticipated. A different commute (love.), no homework (love.), but the obligations and responsibilities were... different. Simple as it might sound, I had to accept that I am an adult. Letting go is no easy task, and I'm not referring to childish whims. I think I've grown more in the last semester than I did in all 4 years of college -- and that's saying a lot!
Outside of work, I continued to enjoy life as a young adult. There were day trips to the Virginia countryside on the weekends and more wine tastings and hiking (though not in that order). I began playing my instruments again and enjoyed reading a few books (including this one! There might be a review around the corner). This introvert basked in the simplicity of it all and thoroughly enjoyed herself throughout. I do look forward to broadening my horizons in 2015, making new friends (in real life and on blogosphere), and maybe even embarking on an adventure or two -- after all, I need something exciting to write about to keep my personal blog up and running! ;)
If ever we find ourselves sitting across the sofa from each other with hot tea and seasonally appropriate, homemade bread in hand, I'll happily fill you in on all the rest. But until then, my dear friends, I invite you to continue journeying with me here, on my personal blog, and on Instagram. Our Lord tells us that He came so that we might have life abundantly; let us be truly glad in His promise, for there is wonderful joy ahead! (ref. 1 Peter 1:6)
If ever we find ourselves sitting across the sofa from each other with hot tea and seasonally appropriate, homemade bread in hand, I'll happily fill you in on all the rest. But until then, my dear friends, I invite you to continue journeying with me here, on my personal blog, and on Instagram. Our Lord tells us that He came so that we might have life abundantly; let us be truly glad in His promise, for there is wonderful joy ahead! (ref. 1 Peter 1:6)
With deep appreciation and love for each one of you ~




This was beautiful, Sarah!!! You are a lovely soul.
ReplyDeleteAwe, shucks ;) Thanks, dear <3
DeleteSarah, I thought for a second there that you were going to reveal that you had a religious vocation!
ReplyDeleteI almost didn't click on the link to Erin's Ring. Thank you for the shout-out.
I did figure readers might think that (after I originally related the story, several friends suggested it was a "sign"). But no; at least not in my discernment thus far! :)
DeleteAlways a pleasure to recommend a great book. God bless!
Such a great update from a beautiful woman!! Thanks for sharing your year! I would never guess you are shy-- you're such a lovely and expressive writer! (although I tend to be a writer more than a speaker myself ;) )
ReplyDeleteHugs!
It's funny to find out who perceives me as shy and who didn't realize that "shy" is even a part of my vocabulary -- I get both! If we were to meet one-on-one, though, I would likely be quite bubbly.
DeleteHugs right back to ya, dear! God bless you!
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! Very beautiful! Did you get a degree in Elementary Teaching? I am very strongly thinking of it and was wondering how you enjoyed it/if you had an tips. Thanks!
Elizabeth.
My Degree is in Early Childhood Education which does, officially, last until the 2nd grade. Feel free to contact me with any questions. God bless you!
Delete