Monday, April 14, 2014

Hosting Jesus

I've lately been concerning myself with finishing the semester, finalizing all assignments, and crossing my fingers in anticipation of the result.  It's Monday afternoon of Holy Week as I type and Spring has finally arrived in Virginia.  Each morning I awaken to the song of the birds and throw open the window curtains to see the sunrise.  Inevitably, I find myself responding to the early morning's beckoning: "Come! Breathe in the beauty!", and I throw a sweater over my shoulders as I skip down the stairs and immerse myself in the beauty of a brand new day.

A week ago, I'd have told you of my considerations to save prayer for once school is over.  This semester has had me so busy that my usual cut-short, guitar-and-violin-playing finger nails grew out long enough to consider a manicure!  But Spring's arrival did what it always does -- namely, cause me to stop dead in my tracks to take a deep breath, slow down, and walk.  I suddenly realized that Easter is just around the corner.  Then, the words of the centurion in Matthew chapter 8 echoed in my mind: "Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof...".  And just as soon it occurred to me: I can't do this without God's grace!  But I can do all things through him who gives me strength (cf. Philippians 4:13).

Each time we attend Mass, Jesus comes to visit under the roof of our homes; his true presence -- Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.  Are we ready to host him?  Imagine the person of Jesus coming to visit the place you call home.  Have the tables been wiped and the floors been vacuumed and swept?  Are you prepared to use your finest china and your most exquisite recipes?  Or do you present him with your beautiful, everyday recipes, a lounge chair in the backyard, and a carefree afternoon spent in the company of the glorious giggles of the littlest people in your family?  Or do you take him, instead, to a local, fine restaurant?  Which is your scenario and how to you prepare for his coming?
from my Instagram

I know I can finish this semester, but I can do it so much more beautifully, peacefully, and gracefully with his help.  I look out my window and see two squirrels scampering to and fro and am reminded of how easily I could  slip back into the chaos and anxieties of exams...

The sun rises happily in the morning and so will I.  Though the clock is still ticking, assignments still await my attention, and Easter is less than a week away, I will first take a quiet saunter down the road to smile at flowers and whistle with the birds.  As I prepare to lay my weary head to rest as the sun fades away, I will hasten to the arms of my Mama and tell her about my day.  I will ask her to kiss the bumps and bruises of my day and make something beautiful out of nothing.  And when the sun peeks out again to bid my still-sleepy head good morning, I will rise -- ready and eager -- to cherish the gift of today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi CYW! This is my first time on your Blog and it's so funny that I stumble upon it this morning as you speak about hosting Jesus and receiving him in the Holy Eucharist!

    I started a new spiritual reading book this morning titled, The 7 Secrets Of The Eucharist and after my allotted 15 minutes for reading were up, I was reminded so strongly that, Jesus Himself - His Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity - is what we receive each time we receive the Holy Communion... And when I attended Mass this morning also and received Holy Communion, it was so much more beautiful.

    I have a very full life and sometimes, all my commitments tend to overwhelm me a little... or a lot! :-) But, when I make the effort to put God first, to wake up a little earlier to attend daily Mass, to spend some minutes in prayer or saying the Rosary, I receive so much strength and grace to finish everything I have on my 7-page to-do list a lot more efficiently and effectively.

    I didn't read your post about considering saving prayer for when the school year is over, but I'd encourage you not to because you find that everything works so much better when you do put Him first!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful, Sarah. Thank you for the lovely thoughts as we prepare for Easter. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.

Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.

Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.

God bless!