Pages

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

On Discernment, Part 2

Discerning Religious Life

Jesus invited me to discern religious life through a friend at college who invited me to join the Women's Discernment group at our school.  I found it so much easier to be myself, open, and honest amongst a group of ladies who, like me, were discerning and unsure of what the future might hold for them.  Something about being on this journey together made the process of discernment so much more exciting to me: to discover the unknown and find out what lies ahead -- it's like opening a Christmas present!

Once I began discerning religious life {which can mean speaking openly about your thoughts, concerns, feelings, etc. with God in prayer, or something a bit more serious involving a leap of Faith and actually visiting a religious order or attending a discernment retreat}, I remembered why it was I was so interested in religious life during my youth.  The way of life is so beautiful and the sisters are so deliriously happy and in love with God!  

Additionally, I began to view our brothers in Christ differently.  Instead of seeing them as potential boyfriends, I saw them as who they are: our brothers. In Christ. 

Wow.  


I listen to people asking me what it was like growing up in a big, Catholic family; my friends - we are a big, Catholic family!


For much more about women religious, visit 


Discerning Marriage

"The best way to find your future spouse is to run to Jesus, then look around and see who followed you." 
- anonymous

"A woman's heart should be so lost in God that a man has to seek Him in order to find her." 
- anonymous

~*~*~*~*~*~


"Mom, you know I want to get married, but how am I supposed to discern marriage when no one ever asks me out??"

Her answer surprised me and made me take a step back to ponder and reflect: "Because you're not the dating type.  You're the marrying type and guys are aware of that."

I don't feel that I can speak too much about discerning marriage considering my extensive dating history {see above}, but I can do a very crucial aspect of discerning now that need not wait for the presence of a man: pray.  

That's all?

Well, dear, may I remind you that that is a very big 'all'.  He needs your prayers, even now.  I've heard incredible stories about how prayer affected their relationship years before they met that couples realized after they met/courted/married.  They are entirely convincing and I really believe that if you pray intentionally for your future spouse, God will reward you both.

As for the days of courtship... While attending a workshop given by Jason Evert, he said, "Hypothetically speaking, if a girl should die at the end of a date, the guy should be able to pick her up, present her to the Lord and say, 'Here is your daughter - I took care of her.'"  A relationship goes two ways and we should be able to say the same thing about our men on judgement day.

For much more on Catholic courtship, visit 
The Veil of Chastity or Chastity Project


A Vocation

Straight and simple, each of our vocations is love. What we must discern is specifically how God is calling us to love.

When I hear the words "vocation story," I tend to think only of a priestly or religious vocation.  Similarly, when I hear the words "courtship story" or "love story" I think of only the marital vocation when really each of the above terms can be appropriately applied to all vocations.  It is very important to be aware that they are all vocations.  It would be absolutely appropriate to ask a married couple to share their "vocation story" as opposed to "how did you meet?" or "What is your courtship/love/romance story?"  While not as common, one could also ask a priest or religious to share their "love" story, for seminary is to priesthood as courtship is to marriage as postulancy is to religious life.

The next two installments in this series will be 1) the vocation story of my sister, Anna, and her soon-to-be husband, Andrew and 2) the vocation story of a religious sister.

16 comments:

  1. YES. Seeing boys as brothers and not as potential husbands. Something I realized when my discernment began. SO IMPORTANT. <3 I seriously cannot thank you enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing about this!! I've totally struggled with the same thing (desiring marriage but being afraid to discern the religious life). And after much prayer, I feel like I'm slowly beginning to trust in God's goodness in my life and be vulnerable with Him.
    And YES even in our single state we are called to fulfill our vocation of love - and we don't have to wait until we've "figured it all out" to start :)
    Keep writing and God bless!
    Joy Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A college chum and I were discussing an angle of that on our walk home yesterday evening -- trusting in God in the midst of the unknown. It's such a difficult place to be, but prayer is such a great gift! God bless you!

      Delete
  3. This is a brilliant series, filled with information we all need to hear again and again and again...even after we have discovered what our vocation is!
    I love the idea of living our vocation to love always.
    And suddenly, I'm immensely grateful for all my guy friends who do take such great care of me, and respect me for who I am, as I discern my call. Thanks so much for doing this series!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Praised be Jesus Christ! Thank you for your encouragement.

      Living out our vocation of love...St. Thérèse sure knew what she was talking about. God bless you, Mairwen!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the shout out! :) God bless, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pleasure! Thank YOU for your dedication to writing. God bless!

      Delete
  5. i'm excited to read the rest!


    as someone who hasn't dated much and desires both marriage and religious life (you know...depending on the day, ha) i totally appreciate what your mom said about you being the marrying type and not the dating type. amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to read the rest, too! *smiles* My Mom's words certainly are thought-provoking. God bless you, Liz!

      Delete
  6. Discerning is not just for a "vocation" such as marriage, priesthood, etc. but also discerning what plans God has for us. EWTN has a host, Teresa Tomeo, and she just wrote a book called "God's Bucket List: Heaven's Surefire Way to Happiness in This Life and Beyond" http://j.mp/TTgblAZ What she talks about in her book is that we all have plans we would like to accomplish, but are they God's plans? Is that career path, that volunteer opportunity, that trip to wherever, part of what God wants us to do. Then she tells us how to figure that out. It is an easy read and worth doing so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia, I've heard about that book and have considered getting it to read. Thank you for sharing about it! I'll certainly keep it on my list. God bless you!

      Delete
  7. Well timed post Sarah! It's funny because I am facing some more serious discernment decisions right now. I've said that I was "discerning" religious life for many years, and now it is getting closer to the moment when I have to take that leap of faith and actually enter a convent. Honestly, I am so excited, but I am scared too! All I can do is say "Jesus I trust in You" every step of the way!

    Praying for you all!
    Mary F.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be praying for you, Mary. Thank you for sharing! God bless you!

      Delete
  8. I love the quote by Jason Evert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it something? I've reflected on it quite a lot since attending that workshop.

      God bless you!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.

Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.

Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.

God bless!