![]() |
| At the beach. |
So yes, I'm a little behind on Clare's Christmas Letter idea -- but here's a "New Year's" letter.
Phew. What a year this has been. I keep telling my friends and Facebook that it has been my best year by far, and also the year with some of my hardest struggles. The biggest news for me, as you all know, was that I graduated from high school (during which I took classes online at home for four years) and started college 5 hours from home. The whole college searching process was its own struggle, which I wrote about last year, but the experience has been so rewarding.
Before school started, my family took a relaxing vacation at the beach to unwind. However, some of you may remember from Facebook how this turned into a trial after my grandfather had to be taken to the hospital. I didn't realize it at the time, but this was the first of a few struggles I'd face later in the year, but from which I emerged relatively unscathed. It was also another glimpse at God's confusing, sometimes distressing, sometimes deliriously wonderful, but always Perfect Plan.
![]() |
| The building on campus in which all my classes are. |
And then, college. I've made dear friends. We laugh. We cry. We do goofy things. But mostly, we study. That has been by far the biggest adjustment, even more so than high school was. I have far less time for prayer than I thought I would, and while I'm making it to weekly campus Mass (in fact, I've joined the choir because they desperately needed voices), finding time for prayer was scarce. I so hate to say this, so that I am renewing my efforts for this coming semester. Not being at a Catholic college doesn't really give me any excuse to be lax. And Jesus has continued to bless me. I want to make this ongoing effort to move my life around Him, rather than trying to fit Him in.
As far as academics, I'm happy to say I finished out my semester with a decent GPA. I studied Biology (my favorite class, by far, and also my major), Humanities, French, and Calculus. This semester I'm continuing the first three, and switching out the dreaded math hour with an opera appreciation course: Mozart through Debussy. A bit different, and I know very little about opera, but it should be fun. I tried so hard to get into a Chemistry course that's required for my major, but the spots filled up so quickly, and had to settle for a Plan G (because my other back-ups filled up as well, such horrid luck!)
![]() |
| My closest friends. |
One of my biggest struggles, that I wrote about, has to do with the new and confusing social scene. I'm resolved to better live out my single vocation as far as God leads me. It's quite hard being a Catholic and surrounded by lots of dear friends who don't share this same love. This coming semester, I want to get more involved with campus ministry, and extend my efforts beyond Mass and choir to some of the group dinners and studies. I'll need to reach to meet other Catholics, but the Holy Spirit is definitely nudging me to try.
![]() |
| Ice skating in the city for a pre-finals treat. |
I think the most important thing I learned, solidified, and resolve to keep in my mind this 2013 is this philosophy: everything happens for a reason. My mom told me this so often as I was growing up and lives by it. Now, I want to live by it. We often can't understand God's plan with our little human sized brains. Despite the remarkable things humans can do (I know, I'm studying Biology), God is much much greater. I'm so excited about the life He's given me. I know how unworthy I am, but I pray daily for Him to have mercy on me, a sinner, and so that I may love Him evermore. And this is the greatest thing about living, the greatest thing about this life God's entrusted me with. So, even though I've remained single, had difficult struggles, suffered through some tough academics, but made the best friends I could ask for, I'm incredibly grateful and incredibly excited for everything that's in store for me. I'm so excited to share 2013 with you all!
Can I also just say in 2013 will be the 6th anniversary of this little blog. I'm so blessed to have been a part of this for a year and a half now and a reader much longer. Clare, thank you so much for all the hard work you've put into starting and keeping this blog. It's been such a blessing for me and many others.




No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for stopping by CYW! Comments are always welcome, and we appreciate your thoughts. CYW is meant to be a community of like-minded Catholic women, so hearing from our readers always make us smile.
Disagreement is permitted, but we require that some sort of name be attached to the comment rather than simply leaving it anonymous and that charity always be maintained. And, though criticism of a post is acceptable, any derisive remarks about the personal lives of the contributors are considered unacceptable.
Comments are moderated for the sake of our young readers.
God bless!