![]() |
| via |
I set my cup of coffee down slowly because I can. Because I have the time to be slow...because finally, as a junior, I've realized that you don't have to rush.
That you can move slowly.
I smile, because I'm surrounded by freshmen and I remember being a freshman, being tense and worried, praying and hoping for good grades, rushing from place to place, from activity to meeting to study session to dinner, to all-nighter, and so on.
And it makes me smile because now I understand why all the juniors and seniors I that met my first year in college were so relaxed. Because by junior year, you start to realize that rushing and hurrying, that stress and worry really don't add anything to your life.
That all nighters and insurmountable amounts of homework are not battle wounds to be boasted of proudly. That sleep really is more important than anything else. That the world doesn't end if you don't make an A or have a 4.0 GPA. That sometimes the most productive days are the days when you do nothing related to schoolwork. That at least one hour of each day should be devoted to alone time, to taking care of yourself.
Of letting your soul breathe.
That sometimes, we need to show kindness to ourselves before we show it to anyone else.
Sometimes it means taking ourselves to that favorite coffee shop and studying with a cup of heavenly caffeine, or deciding to take the trash out tomorrow because it's okay if you don't do it today or accepting that today is a t-shirt and ponytail hair day. Or it could be as simple as sitting in the sun, drinking up the sunlight and gentle strains of music.
Either way, I'm glad not to be running and hurrying. It's my natural instinct, and I still have have to fight it. But it gets easier. So if you're a freshman who feels the weight of the world on your shoulders and a life that never stands still and a to-do list that never ends....
Breathe.
It will all work out. I promise.
It may not seem like it right now. But I promise you will learn to slow down, to place importance in stillness, in steadiness, in walking slowly.
Because honestly, dear girls, you won't get where you're going any faster by trying to rush. Just let it all come when it does. Stop trying to run this invisible race that you've been told you have to win, that you've been told you have to keep up with everyone else in it.
You don't. So don't worry about that.
You do you. Get sleep. Take walks. Read something for fun. Soak in the sunlight.
It's okay not to rush through life. You miss all the best moments in between if you do.

Thank you so much for this, Grace! This is so. true. I'm a sophomore and I've been starting to come to these realizations as well... that it's okay, and truly necessary, to take care of myself, to make time for myself, to let my soul breathe. That sleep is really, super important, and so is a bit of alone time each day to relax. That there are more important things in my life than grades and schoolwork. So your post really resonated with me today! Thanks and God bless :)
ReplyDeleteStephanie
stephanievitabellissima.blogspot.com
You are so welcome, Stephanie - and good for you! You're a year of ahead of me when I was a sophomore...it really does make college better. For one, you have more enjoy to enjoy the experience! :)
DeleteThis is a great reminder. Thank you for writing it. I'm a senior, but I often forget that it's okay to move slowly and to enjoy life instead of rushing all the time. School has been a huge stressor for me, but I'm realizing that ultimately, my grades aren't going to be the most important thing in my life. And sleep...so, so important! Life is going to happen, and it's better to take it slow, living in the moment instead of rushing and having regrets later on.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your comment, Elizabeth! And I hear you...I've always been stressed as long as I can remember. But I'm learning to treasure the little moments and it sounds like you are too. :)
DeleteBeautifully done. <3
ReplyDeleteThank you, lovely!
DeleteI always love your posts! They're so full of inspiration on the simple things in life that get one down. Thank you for writing this. <3
ReplyDeleteThank you, Elizabeth! So happy to hear that...I try my best. :)
DeleteThis is excellent as always, Grace. Thank you! I (try to) make a point of taking some time to slow down and enjoy life. Lawd knows it's difficult in today's world. Thank you for this <3
ReplyDeleteThe Starving Inspired
Like you said, Iris, it's definitely difficult, but so worth it!
DeleteThis is a great post! It can even apply to life after college! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteIndeed! I feel like if anything life speeds up even more after school! Thank you for your kind words. <3
Delete