Have you ever been on a pilgrimage? The concept might sound terribly outdated to you, or it might be something familiar that you grew up doing with your family.
Pilgrimages are among the most ancient of Christian customs. Actually, they're one of the most ancient human customs—people of all faiths have made pilgrimages since the dawn of human history. Participating in a pilgrimage in the modern world is a wonderful link to the past, and a great way to deepen your faith and prayer life.
My husband and I went on a pilgrimage on Saturday, timed to coincide with the Day of Prayer and Fasting called for by Pope Francis. It was his first time making a pilgrimage, and I did some research in advance to make sure I explained it all correctly.
If you'd like to read about our pilgrimage experience, and what we learned, the full story can be found here.
And now I'd like to know, where would you like to go on pilgrimage? I've always dreamed of traveling to Lourdes, France. And how would you explain a pilgrimage to someone who had never been on one before?

I made a pilgrimage to WYD '05 in Cologne, Germany. Spiritually it was very challenging, but it was also my first trip to Europe and my first trip as part of a non-family group, so I learned a lot all around! My favorite part was going to Taize in France, where we spent a few days, and visiting Notre Dame and Montmartre in Paris and the Cathedral of St. Peter in Cologne. Beautiful!
ReplyDeleteWow, Amy, that sounds like an incredible, enriching experience. Although it was challenging, I bet you really grew. Thanks for sharing about your trip!
DeleteI love pilgrimages and pray to be able to go on one to Italy someday!
ReplyDeleteTo someone who has never been on one, I would tell them it is an exterior way to symbolize the journey we are constantly making interiorly to God. A pilgrimage gives us strength for our journey, knowledge, and a new perspective.
Hi Lianna! I love the way you put that—both the meaning of a pilgrimage and the great things that can result from it. I'll remember that for later!
DeleteI want to go to Lourdes as well. Or Rome. And I'm not sure if I understand pilgrimages enough to try to explain the concept to others.
DeleteRight now I am en route to Rome to study abroad for a semester. You can follow my adventures on my blog. :)
ReplyDeletebookboundlove.blogspot.com
Marissa, that sounds incredible! You lucky girl. :) I look forward to reading about your adventures!
DeleteI went on a pilgrimage in 2011 to England, France, and Italy. In Italy I visited the Vatican which for a junior in high school at the time would typically not be "cool" but I cried as I walked into the Vatican knowing that this is where my Faith had brought me. It was truly an incredible experience! My parent's go to Ireland every year on a church pilgrimage, and I would truly love to go along with them to see all the beautiful historic churches and shrines. I would also love to do a pilgrimage in Jerusalem some day!
ReplyDeleteIf I had to explain what a pilgrimage is to someone who had no idea, I would just explain that it is going on an adventure no matter the distance, to find where your faith is rooted. :)